Pages

Saturday, 25 February 2012

Rugs

My first two rugs from the new loom. Actually finished them some time ago and forgot to mention.

One is made of all my scrap jeans I didn't want, the other is wool/nylon (20/80 I think). The wool one is for in front of the hearth at my parents house. The other one is mine and sits at a funny angle between the couch and the telly. Putting the couch at a funny angle is the only way to make the room work with 2 couches, a loom and a dining table in it.




3 comments:

Plainweave said...

The "zebra" rug looks exciting & bold. How do you strip the jeans? Do you remove seams and hems or include all?

Thanks for commenting on my blog - it led me to your textile odyssey at Galashiels. Weave on!

Andrew Kieran said...

I'm trying to remember exactly how i stripped the jeans. I thihnk firstly I cut off the hem at the bottom of the leg, which allowed me to rip open the side seams. I then rip the side seams open all the way up to the waistband, which I cut off. This leaves me with 4 leg pieces, which I then remove the pockets from, with the aid of a seam ripper. Then I just make a wee cut for each strip in the bottom of the leg and rip down the length. I end up with a few long strips, some short strips and some very short strips, as I use the back pockets as well.

Any extraneous buttons and hems and so on that aren't got rid of by this method I just cut off. I like to keep things fairly regular.

Meg in Nelson said...

Your jeans rug looks great - and your room looks so cozy.