Tuesday, 16 December 2014
Wednesday, 3 December 2014
It's taken me a little while to get round to this.
Finally though, I have the space and, in the form of the remains of a large pile if shafts we got shot of from work over the summer, the materials. Lots of pieces of wood of uniform dimensions. Nice strong stuff too, tasty. Also, the drop saw makes short work of cutting the stuff down.
I drew up some plans the other night, and built the frame and Castle today.
The castle has been built in such a way that I expect to be able to be able to swap different shedding systems in and out.
The castle is probably a little tall just now, but I thought better bigger than smaller.
The first shedding mechanism I'll install will be counterbalance, then maybe a countermarche and perhaps eventually a jack mechanism, though I'll need a router to do that, so it may have to wait for some time.
Also, there are lessons to be learned in the process. Even in the building of the frame. But certainly in the building of the shedding mechanisms.
Anyhow, two pictures of it as it is, in folded and open conditions. I also need to dig out a track for the locking arms to travel on.
Once this is all done and tested, i'll have learned enough to try again with bought wood.
Friday, 28 November 2014
Here's that warp on the loom. I beamed it with sticks, despite the fact I don't believe in them. Sadly, my wee loom has a tottie wee warp beam, about the thickness of a broom handle, so it's really the only way. Still, it works for short warps. Heyho, we have to work with what we've got. The loom is currently beamed at 60 epi and sleyed at 112 epi. I'll really it after the festival two samples at something like 80 epi, which is a more natural sett for thus yarn. I'm trying to make denim, so am upping the epi in a bid to increase the density of the cloth.
I'm also going to try different samples with differing tension, to see if I can increase the prominence of the warp floats.
A part of me is wondering whether this is a useful exercise as I plan to weave a proper quantity on the big floor loom in the new year and the characteristics of the loom are very different.
For starters, the shed us a good deal deeper, which I'm sure has some kind of effect on the cloth, but the tension is also a good bit different as well. Also, if I succeed in putting a tension brake on it, then I shall have more consistent tension control, which ought to help.
I'm currently running on the theory that a lower warp tension will cause greater take up in the warp and increase the prominence of warp floats in a 3/1 twill, also that a heavier beat will help too.
These are things that I can't really control on the table loom. So, like I say, I'm not convinced that these samples will truly reflect what the big loom will churn out. I've got to do something in the meantime though and it'll at least give me a rough idea. So there's that.
The coloured samples are from the last warp and are 2/20's cotton set at 42, 56 and 70 epi
Saturday, 22 November 2014
Thursday, 6 November 2014
Sunday, 19 October 2014
So, last month I bought a scrollsaw and a pillar drill. And since then I have been getting a workshop space ready at a garage on a friend's farm. There's been a lot of work, and it still isn't quite ready yet. I'll have a lot more space when the car is out of the way. There's a long workbench for my woodworking tools and the desk where they're currently at will have a cheapo laptop and some of my 'leccy tools and projects, I also intend to build a very simple, but biggish, rug-weaving loom which I intend to have set up in such a way that I can fold it up against the wall when it's not in use if i need to. Thinking of maybe having the warp going up and over a rail at the top and weighted down, with the back beam of the loom sort of attached to rails on the wall. Difficult to describe, I have a picture in my head.
Anyway, I moved my tools in today and made a very simple and rough rigid-heddle loom for a friend.
A very simple counterbalance set up for now anyway, probably with an underslung beater.
Monday, 28 July 2014
These are drawings for Tablet weaving card. From left to right, 6 3-sided cards arranged radially, one 6 sided card, which I haven't figured out the best way to arrange yet, and an array of 4-sided card. Also, a comb and a shuttle.
Everything but the shuttle can be easily made in plastic by laser or waterjet cutting. The shuttle may be a little trickier as I would like the beating edge to have a gentle slope leading to a nice curved blade edge for good beating.
The warp can be tied into the comb with string on top, I see no need to make a hinged attachment to go on top.
I may make other shuttle shapes tonight, and rethink the comb.
I am undecided about what material to get these things made in. I reckon the cards should be as thin as reasonably possible, 1mm acrylic perhaps. They will be breakable, but these things tend to be. In my experience the thinner a weaving card the better for the turning, especially when not mounted on a loom or board.
Annoyingly, I made the shuttle 190mm long instead of 1900mm as I intended. And it was a very pernickety part to make.
I've found a number of manufacturers who specialise in laser and waterjet cutting in the UK. I am going to get some samples of square cards made, if I find the finish and material acceptable then I shall have a larger number made of all three types of cards. But mostly the square ones.
Thje square cards are 7cm square and I welcome any expressions of interest in this product, it would be cool if I had a box of several hundred of these and just got a wee trickle of ebay earnings coming in now and then.