Pages

Friday, 7 October 2011

Wavy multi-twill

Ok, so I drafted the pink silk in blocks of 4 shafts each on a total of 8, and I set the lift plan to have the first 4 shafts doing 3/1 twill and the others 1/3, so sect and warp face, and then alternating. And I wove that for q while to get a sample, then it occurred to me there was a bit of q curve where the blocks meet, so I've been weaving a whole scarf length in solid stripes (it's taking ages) and I've got this very interesting wavy effect when I remove the tension. I'll have to make an extra wee sample to see what happens when I steam press it.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Steam pressing it will likely flatten it. If you want the 'furrow' effect, don't press, just wet finish it and while it is still damp take the scarf at each end and pull. That should pop the curves up nice and deep. If that doesn't work or you don't like it, then steam press it flat. :)
cheers,
Laura
my 'code' word for this comment is 'squizess' which seems oddly appropriate. :^)

humblebumble said...

Nice one laura, thanks. What I'm wondering more is how much it can recover it's furrow after being pressed or having a similar normal-life process applied to it, such as being sweated through on a damp day while wrapped tightly round a neck. I'll let y'all know how i get on. This is fun stuff anyway, even if it be very hard going

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

...or just steam it (no pressing down). My horsehair collar didn't "curl" until steamed - and when it gets tired, it is easily restored with steaming.
(my code word is also appropriate: "vaphou" - how do they *do* these things...?)

humblebumble said...

Hello again Kerstin. If you look to my most recent post you'll see I've steam ironed it. And I'm very pleased with the result. I've never woven with silk before and working three times as hard is conpletely worth it.