Skip to main content

Normal Service To Resume Shortly

Happy New Year Y'all!

So I've been back at college for, oooooh, what, two weeks now, and things are going just fine.

I have been doing lots of visual research and development and I have also in dribs and drabs been dressing the loom with an 1800 end warp of cotton, worsted and wool/lycra mix.

The wool/lycra mix is the star of the show. This is a core spun lycra wrapped with 97%worsted wool. The brilliant thing about this stuff, in contrast to other elastic yarns I've used is that at the lycra is held at extension in the normal tension of the worsted yarn. This means it's reasonably easy to weave with, as it basically behaves like a normal worsted yarn when it's under tension, which is FANTASTIC.

The really interesting thing as well of course, is that the lycra doesn't properly relax until it's been washed in a relaxed state, at which point it obeys it's true desires and pulls itself right in all scrunchy like.

The idea is I'm making cloth with a bit of boing in it. I have a number of complicated ideas (well, one) but at the moment I'm simply making a single cloth in 2/2 twill, with 4 warps and 6 wefts, to make 24 samples in all, which I will then finish to varying degrees to observe the effect.

One of the big ideas I'm thinking about is weaving a double cloth with centre stitching, where I use the elastic yarn as the centre stitching and then whatever I please as the front and back faces. I can have interchanging as I desire to create colour pattern, and then I can use centre stitching in certain areas to create textural pattern effects. I also have the option of using elastic in the weft as well as the warp, or just one or the other. It's all rather interesting.

I've never made a centre-stitched double cloth before and I'm kinda looking forward to it. I really hope I can get some of this stuff woven on Jacquard because I'd really love to do all big patterning and that, but we'll see, it might not be possible.

Also, I shall be Making My Own Yarns. Not from scratch, but from other yarns, I want to try using big chunky textured and irregular yarns, so I'm getting a postgrad student (big up Stephanie!) to walk me through the yarn-twisting machines. She's already shown me how to use the straight (Boyd) twister, and I'm hoping next month we'll be able to figure out the fancy twister which is capable of creating all sorts of interesting and creative effects by twisting different yarns together at different rates.

It's all very exciting, and I promise to blog everything I do, complete with full-recipes and pictures of funky yarn and so on.

Go 2013!

Andrew

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tablet Weaving Lesson #1: Backstrap weaving a simple diamond motif

This is the first in a series of video and photo tutorials showing basic to advanced tablet-weaving concepts. These lessons shall each build on the last and hopefully take the viewer from simple diamond patterns up to more complicated double face pattern weaving with finer yarns and eventually onto the heady heights of brocading and other fancy techniques (just as soon as I learn how to do them myself). In this first lesson we'll learn the basic weaving steps involved in weaving a diamond pattern in the backstrap style. This lesson is meant for someone who has purchased a ready-made warp from me. The next lesson shall detail how to design and make this warp oneself. And we begin This is the basic pattern we are making. The woven band is tied to my waist with another strap. I am holding a small stick shuttle in my right hand which contains the weft. In front of me are the cards, each card has 4 warp threads going through it. The gap that you can see is called the

treble-cloth construction

I am currently in the process of designing a triple layered fabric. One layer shall carry conductive warp threads (one out of every three), another layer shall carry conductive weft threads (again, one out of every three) and a third layer shall lay between them and act as an insulator, keeping them apart and preventing unwanted contact between the two conductive layers. Constructing a treble cloth is a compicated process. The way that a treble cloth is woven is that first the face cloth is woven, then the centre cloth is woven, then the back cloth is woven. This is a draft for a treble cloth. The crosses indicate weaving marks for the cloth currently being woven, the dashes are lifts and are used to indicate shafts that are being lifted in the case of layers that are above the layer currently being woven. Blue is back, Red is front, Green is centre (All three layers are plain weave btw) The cloth is constructed like so 1: Back cloth is woven. All red and green marks are lif

The curse of the faulty rachet-stop + The contractual obligation video post

I got the warp wound on the medium sized loom last week, and threaded and sleyed it this weekend Now. The back beam is held by a ratchet. and the ratchet-stop is a plate of metal which is pulled up from the ratchet-wheel with a handle attached to the main upright. It seems that somewhere along the line of the last couple of weeks i must have bent the plate back a little cos it no longer holds tight against the wheel. i've tried holding it down with a piece of cord wrapped round the beam, but it's not having it and i've had the whole thing come loose while swinging the batten twice already. I've tried to remove the plate but one of the screws is held tight. I'm going to have to take it outside and hammer it flat on the doorstep. This is aggravating On another aggravating note, the shuttle keeps flying out of the race and hitting the wall when i beat from the left hand side on the larger loom and i can't figure out why, cos i haven't changed anything from the