Skip to main content

Weaving with a cold, upon the Square of Comfort


 I have been under attack by the Horrible Cold for four days. I am now recovered. In the meantime, I constructed a Square of Comfort, from two couches pushed together and decked out in quilts and cushions and orange juice and penicillin and so on. It is truly a glorious thing, and not at all decadent and messy.

While in the square I was feeling a little guilty about not being in college throwing my germs about and whinging about feeling horrible (imagine how productive I would have been!) so I whipped out the inkle loom and threw a warp on it. The thing I like about the inkle looms is it makes it so much easier to make a wider band with a softer handle as your weaving isn't getting pulled into a point as it is when I weave it body-tensioned.

I have begun a process of experimenting with more complex ways of manipulating the cards. to create more interesting patterns. It could be a looooooong journey, as there is just so much to discover, I could be at this for years if I chose and someone would fund me (hint, hint).

Happily though, get this, I am getting to do this for my sketchbook work! HURRAH!!!

Two whole weeks of doing nothing but tablet-weaving, having been instructed to attempt to create as many patterns and use as many techniques as I can in black-and-white (for simplicity's sake).


It is so incredibly cool, and I got a lot done today at college, must have woven off like 4 metres or something. I am making lots and lots (potentially hundreds) of 12" strips each demonstrating a particular pattern or idea. So I am getting a lot of practice with back-switching and things which has so far been something I REALLY have to think VERY hard about, but now I'm starting to get into the rythm of it and it's starting to come a bit more naturally and soon I'll probably be able to make those complicated patterns without thinking too much at all.

Whhoooooo!
 So yeah, I'll be doing this for a few weeks.

The next big thing to try out is perhaps two-hole weaving, to create sort of interchanging double-weave effects, which I think is how a lot of people (not a lot, but like the 10 or so people that do it) do those really intricate pictorial bands with the animals and that on them.

Oh, and there's so many more distinct techniques, like missing hole technique, or weaving with triangular cards, or hexagonal weaving, which i've done before, which is kinda odd, and makes a sort of three layered plain-woven band which unfolds to a single cloth when you turn the tablets on their side. There's a lot to explore.
So yeah, we'll see how this fits into my plan to make viking costume, or whether that plan fits, but in the meantime I have been firmly instructed to just live in the moment and see what happens, which is good for me because making plans gives me anxiety and i don't like anxiety, because it makes me anxious and who like being anxious, right?


Comments

Dorothy said…
Lovely bands, superb colour contrast. It's good to make being ill into an opportunity.

I had an interesting chat with Laverne (of Backstrap Weaving blog) at the Braids 2012 dinner. I have assumed - from a single try out with a narrow band - that I would like backstrap weaving, but Laverne said not everyone takes to it. She pointed out that as the band gets wider you have to watch your body position and if you turn your body at all the weaving is going to skew. However, I think I would prefer the bodyweight tensioning for weaving pick-up patterns.

just attmepting for 3rd time to prove I am not a robot! Bad day?
Kat said…
I love these patterns and would love to make them myself. Where did you get the patterns from?
Andrew Kieran said…
These are just patterns that I kinda made up. If you want to tablet weave them then you can find these and many other patterns as files for a program called Guntram's Tabletweaving Thingy, which you can find on google, it's free and for windows. it's for designing tablet weaving patterns and is pretty awesome.

A nice group that I am a member of is Historic Talbetweaving on Facebook. Really nice helpful group of people

Are you a tablet weaver?

Popular posts from this blog

Tablet Weaving Lesson #1: Backstrap weaving a simple diamond motif

This is the first in a series of video and photo tutorials showing basic to advanced tablet-weaving concepts. These lessons shall each build on the last and hopefully take the viewer from simple diamond patterns up to more complicated double face pattern weaving with finer yarns and eventually onto the heady heights of brocading and other fancy techniques (just as soon as I learn how to do them myself). In this first lesson we'll learn the basic weaving steps involved in weaving a diamond pattern in the backstrap style. This lesson is meant for someone who has purchased a ready-made warp from me. The next lesson shall detail how to design and make this warp oneself. And we begin This is the basic pattern we are making. The woven band is tied to my waist with another strap. I am holding a small stick shuttle in my right hand which contains the weft. In front of me are the cards, each card has 4 warp threads going through it. The gap that you can see is called the

treble-cloth construction

I am currently in the process of designing a triple layered fabric. One layer shall carry conductive warp threads (one out of every three), another layer shall carry conductive weft threads (again, one out of every three) and a third layer shall lay between them and act as an insulator, keeping them apart and preventing unwanted contact between the two conductive layers. Constructing a treble cloth is a compicated process. The way that a treble cloth is woven is that first the face cloth is woven, then the centre cloth is woven, then the back cloth is woven. This is a draft for a treble cloth. The crosses indicate weaving marks for the cloth currently being woven, the dashes are lifts and are used to indicate shafts that are being lifted in the case of layers that are above the layer currently being woven. Blue is back, Red is front, Green is centre (All three layers are plain weave btw) The cloth is constructed like so 1: Back cloth is woven. All red and green marks are lif

The curse of the faulty rachet-stop + The contractual obligation video post

I got the warp wound on the medium sized loom last week, and threaded and sleyed it this weekend Now. The back beam is held by a ratchet. and the ratchet-stop is a plate of metal which is pulled up from the ratchet-wheel with a handle attached to the main upright. It seems that somewhere along the line of the last couple of weeks i must have bent the plate back a little cos it no longer holds tight against the wheel. i've tried holding it down with a piece of cord wrapped round the beam, but it's not having it and i've had the whole thing come loose while swinging the batten twice already. I've tried to remove the plate but one of the screws is held tight. I'm going to have to take it outside and hammer it flat on the doorstep. This is aggravating On another aggravating note, the shuttle keeps flying out of the race and hitting the wall when i beat from the left hand side on the larger loom and i can't figure out why, cos i haven't changed anything from the