Pages

Thursday, 7 April 2011

Quilting

I got new feet for my dewing machine today. Which previously had no feet at all. I got a regular foot, a walking foot and a buttonhole foot. I've been wanting to do some quilting for ages. These are my first three attempts. They don't look as good on the back, there's a bit of fold-over. I guess it'll take a bit of practice and experimentation to get it right.


I also made a cushion cover. I have about 40 metres of this fabric, I made it years ago, if anyone remembers my post about sectional warping when I was trying to use up all the yarn in my cupboard before I moved house or something. It's a bit too rough for pillow-cases, but I've also got rakes of fabric for making pillow cases with as well.

Also, I was asked for a model shoot of the cape-thing. So there you are. JK, it's still not finished, but the dog's taken to it nonetheless

-Andrew

Sunday, 3 April 2011

Endless Knitting

I've been doing a lot of knitting recently. This being the second semester, we've been tasked with making a fully-fashioned knitted top, to go with a cut-and-sewn jersey dress.

I'm not showing you my dress because it's crap. Very little thought went into it, I had limited access to the sewing room, and my skills in that arena are very poor anyway.

But that's not what this post is about, it's about the knitted top. And all the other knitting. I bloody well dream about knitting recently. Well, that and colonel Gaddaffi (no shit, I dreamt I took him to a riot, thought it would help him connect with his people)

This is the top, as seen when laid out upon my fine and glorious carpet. The funny thing about this top is that it's completely mutated beyond all recognition between initial conception and the putting together of component pieces. What you see here is what has become of "the rib", which was supposed to be a sort of fluffy collar/cuff kind of thing that would go round the back of the neck and down the inside front of a kind of waistcoat garment. It changed from that in my notebook to being a sort of huge circle that would completely enclose the wearer when in use. Oh, it was going to be quilted too. But as mentioned above, my sewing skills are less than L55T, if you know what i mean.

However, due to practical issues, not the least being the fact that I've forgotten all my high school maths, I decided to instead make the thing out of triangles. Initially I wanted to make a sort of rough circle out of triangles, but my dodgy grasp of maths told me that I'd need 40 pieces 10 stitches wide on the inside just to make one side of the circle. Which sounded like bollocks to me, so I just winged it.

What you see here is a centre piece that begins at 10 stitches wide and increases by 1 stitch on each side until it reaches 180 stitches wide, and then 2 panels on either side, decreasing by 20 stitches at the outside until it ends with two pieces that are only 20 stitches wide on the outside.


This is a little more difficult to explain. The layers are joined by 50 courses of knitting. I kinda just hooked two pieces onto the needles in a sorta bodgy and messy kinda way and then just started knitting, then hooked on two pieces of the opposing panel and did a little bit more knitting then casted off.

This isn't really a great way of doing it, it makes a sort of loose join, which is a shame, maybe if i did the initial courses at a higher tension it'd sort that out. Or if i used a linker instead of just doing it this bodgy way. But i don't have a linker at home, and I have been relying a lot on working at home to get my work done as I seem to be incapable of waking up in the morning at the moment but can, however, manage to work till 3 or 4 am, no problem.

Anyway, yaah, i'm thinking of putting like inflatable sacs between the layers, but i don't know what i could use exactly. I suspect anything i can get my hands on commercially in my price bracket wouldn't created the effect I desire, and I doubt i have the time to collect the materials and skills I require to make my won inflatable sacs to shape, so I think I'll just have to get by with them being uninflated.

Mince

And this is my worktable, in Knitting Mode. All modes include computer mode BTW. The folder in the middle is my technical development file for this year. I plan to make a knitted book using the aforementioned techniques in which to keep the technical samples contained therein. Such a thing would be, by necessity, big, bulky and time-consuming to construct, but would probably bump my grade up a notch. Considering that this project was supposed to be done with a particular high-fashion brand in mind, and considering that aspect of the project has completely slipped my mind for the entire duration, and that this garment and the fabrics from which it is constructed don't appear to fit into anyone's idea of current fashion trends (bollocks anyway, fashion is a stumbling corpse) I might need that.

So yeah.

An insight into how my design process currently works. Chaotic and unpredictable are both good descriptors for it.

Cheers

-Andrew