Skip to main content

Hodden Grey an' a' that

So.

Context:

While researching Viking Textiles I have uncovered mention of a fabric named Hodden, which isn't viking, but which I was lead to in my research of information regarding the Viking Wadmal (trade cloth).

I quote the Mighty Wiki:

"Hodden or wadmel is a coarse kind of cloth made of undyed wool, formerly much worn by the peasantry of Scotland. It was usually made on small hand-looms by the peasants themselves. Grey hodden was made by mixing black and white fleeces together in the proportion of one to twelve when weaving. The origin of the word is unknown.
 So, this is interesting isn't it?

It raises a lot of questions, firstly, is this cloth an inherited tradition from the Norsemen? If so, was it's status as a trading good continued, or did it become a rough word to describe home-spun rough textiles worn by the poor?

Anyway, enough of that. I ask you to look at the above picture of Ben Affleck.

Now, we can all agree that he looks proper bad-ass on the left with the whole 70's repressed-mountain-man look. But observer the rightwards pictorial representation.

My first thought upon seeing this: "love that suit"

That lovely fabric, which is dark without being uniform, which has flecks of white running through it, could easily by the cultural inheritor of Hodden. Is this a case of a common cloth being adopted by the ruling classes? Don't you think that this soft blending of shades in a cloth is attempting to copy mixed-fibre cloths that were previously considered cheap and worn by the lower orders of society?

Isn't this an interesting subject? Could it be that Hodden, previously being the uniform of the working masses of society, has evolved to the stage that, though it's cultural inheritor (the cheap working suit) is commonly worn and made of uniform and high-quality materials, the upper echelons of modern capitalist society are more likely to wear a fabric that more closely copies the qualities of irregularity found in traditional cloth. Could this be an attempt to distinguish one's status by indicating through your costume that you can afford cloth made of unusual and, by their look (subjective, i know), handmade yarns (irregularity is often mistaken for handmade, regularity often mistaken for machine made)?

Interesting thought.

Anyway, I was looking at it all, took a break and found myself on a random website about movies and stuff and saw this picture.

I would ask you to consider denim, in this context.

Consider also, the idea that I as a person on a low income in this society, have two clothing items that I am careful of, one of which I wear regularly.

1: My Kilt
2: my Levis

I would suggest, when talking about my Levis, that what was once a very rough item of working wear for miners in the west during the period of american westwards expansion (wild west, whatever) has become a standard signifier of uniform belonging to the group of working men and women in our society (i say "our society" bearing in mind that most of my visitors are from US, UK and Europe and the general english speaking world). Look at how uncomfortable some politicians look when wearing jeans in public occasions. They're putting on an act, by wearing so-called casual wear in a formal occassion (press-conference/etc)

I, on the other hand, wear my Levis to interviews. They are the best pair of trousers I have, and they look bloody good. It's actually surprisingly difficult to get proper dark indigo jeans these days, everything has the bullshit "worn" look.

I could go on, but I won't. Just think:

hodden=wadmal=denim

Standard Peasant Cloth = High Status Luxury Item

Deffo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tablet Weaving Lesson #1: Backstrap weaving a simple diamond motif

This is the first in a series of video and photo tutorials showing basic to advanced tablet-weaving concepts. These lessons shall each build on the last and hopefully take the viewer from simple diamond patterns up to more complicated double face pattern weaving with finer yarns and eventually onto the heady heights of brocading and other fancy techniques (just as soon as I learn how to do them myself). In this first lesson we'll learn the basic weaving steps involved in weaving a diamond pattern in the backstrap style. This lesson is meant for someone who has purchased a ready-made warp from me. The next lesson shall detail how to design and make this warp oneself. And we begin This is the basic pattern we are making. The woven band is tied to my waist with another strap. I am holding a small stick shuttle in my right hand which contains the weft. In front of me are the cards, each card has 4 warp threads going through it. The gap that you can see is called the ...

24 shaft patterns - all the fun

 Yo-Yo-Yo! 24-shaft weavin in the house yo! i think that's enough pretend hip-hop talk for now, eh? so yeah, here are three of the more successful results of my cotton warp on 24 shafts. i am really beginning to envy the 3rd and 4th years working on compu-dobby systems now. you spend 2 hours weaving and 2 hours making a peg plan, and it hurt my back putting little pegs into little holes. and of course all the little pegs and the little holes are almost imperceptibly different sizes, so not all pegs fit all holes, and sometimes you have to stuff wee bits of yarn in as well to get them to stay. and then sometimes they're not far in enough and they jam the dobby mechanism, and sometimes they're too far in and they jame the dobby mechanism. and sometimes a link breaks and the whole mechanism jams. and sometimes all the shafts lift at once and you can't figure out why. and sometimes shafts just bounce off their strings and you can't figure out why, ...

Building a jack loom Part 1: Vague plans and messy diagrams

I've been thinking about it for a while to be fair. What I'm thinking about is an 8 shaft folding jack loom. The interesting part comes when I point out that I'm going to build an electric dobby controller into the bottom of it so it operates from one pedal and a computer program. So far I've been thinking and thinking and I'm basically roughly copying the kind of frame you'd find in a Siever's school or Baby wolf loom. Basically it's like an X that folds up on itself with the castle in the middle. Should be able to reduce it's depth from 3 feet to about 1 for storage. I don't think it's really that difficult to design the loom frame, aside from building the beams and making the ratchets and so on, which I may just jigsaw out of thick MDF. I have most of the wood I need asides from some panelling and I need to buy some aluminium sheet to make the shaft dividers with and also to hold the shaft bodies together with. The rising levers w...