Skip to main content

Attempting to improve my photography

 Blue and brown scarf
 Chaos Cloth
Cloth samples (that I forgot to subit as part of my assessment, doh!)

Yeah, could do better, eh?

yeah, white background, natural lighting and a steady hand might help a little bit

Add another to the list of skills necessary to become a successful weaver: photography

Not there yet

-Andrew

Comments

Meg said…
One of the easiest way to spruce up pics, and relatively cheap, is to get one sheets each of black, gray and white drawing paper, preferably A1 size. Have the sun in our back, put the stuff on one of the sheets, and voila, the pics are quite a bit better automagically. Of course the sheets of paper are reusable.

Next step I personally want to try out is matt vs shiny sheets.
Anonymous said…
I have found about the worst background is shiny cardboard, and high contrast between the subject and background also causes problems. A plain cloth is useful, or some plain natural background like wood, stone, even concrete. Best light I have found is daylight, either from a north window or outside - and best weather for outside is a bright overcast day. Have the things you need to photograph ready and waiting for when the weather & light is good.
Anonymous said…
I don't know why this is happening today - Google isn't signing me in so my comment is anonymous - but I am Dot, and I just typed the above.
Anonymous said…
Having trouble leaving comments now, first one came up anonymous, then the second overwrit the first...

I suggested plain natural backgrounds - wood, concrete, stone, and low contrast between foreground and background, and north light indoors or overcast but bright day outside.

Dot (fibre2fabric & YarnMaker)

Popular posts from this blog

Tablet Weaving Lesson #1: Backstrap weaving a simple diamond motif

This is the first in a series of video and photo tutorials showing basic to advanced tablet-weaving concepts. These lessons shall each build on the last and hopefully take the viewer from simple diamond patterns up to more complicated double face pattern weaving with finer yarns and eventually onto the heady heights of brocading and other fancy techniques (just as soon as I learn how to do them myself). In this first lesson we'll learn the basic weaving steps involved in weaving a diamond pattern in the backstrap style. This lesson is meant for someone who has purchased a ready-made warp from me. The next lesson shall detail how to design and make this warp oneself. And we begin This is the basic pattern we are making. The woven band is tied to my waist with another strap. I am holding a small stick shuttle in my right hand which contains the weft. In front of me are the cards, each card has 4 warp threads going through it. The gap that you can see is called the ...

24 shaft patterns - all the fun

 Yo-Yo-Yo! 24-shaft weavin in the house yo! i think that's enough pretend hip-hop talk for now, eh? so yeah, here are three of the more successful results of my cotton warp on 24 shafts. i am really beginning to envy the 3rd and 4th years working on compu-dobby systems now. you spend 2 hours weaving and 2 hours making a peg plan, and it hurt my back putting little pegs into little holes. and of course all the little pegs and the little holes are almost imperceptibly different sizes, so not all pegs fit all holes, and sometimes you have to stuff wee bits of yarn in as well to get them to stay. and then sometimes they're not far in enough and they jam the dobby mechanism, and sometimes they're too far in and they jame the dobby mechanism. and sometimes a link breaks and the whole mechanism jams. and sometimes all the shafts lift at once and you can't figure out why. and sometimes shafts just bounce off their strings and you can't figure out why, ...

Building a jack loom Part 1: Vague plans and messy diagrams

I've been thinking about it for a while to be fair. What I'm thinking about is an 8 shaft folding jack loom. The interesting part comes when I point out that I'm going to build an electric dobby controller into the bottom of it so it operates from one pedal and a computer program. So far I've been thinking and thinking and I'm basically roughly copying the kind of frame you'd find in a Siever's school or Baby wolf loom. Basically it's like an X that folds up on itself with the castle in the middle. Should be able to reduce it's depth from 3 feet to about 1 for storage. I don't think it's really that difficult to design the loom frame, aside from building the beams and making the ratchets and so on, which I may just jigsaw out of thick MDF. I have most of the wood I need asides from some panelling and I need to buy some aluminium sheet to make the shaft dividers with and also to hold the shaft bodies together with. The rising levers w...